This subject builds on ES911.506 Primary Mathematics and focuses on developing expert content knowledge in Mathematics as well as pedagogical content knowledge, and the integration of these for developing highly effective teaching strategies relevant to teaching Mathematics.
Current developments in issues impacting upon the teaching of Mathematics and numeracy (such as diverse learning needs including gifted and talented students, whole school mathematics and numeracy programs) will be critically analysed. The unit also covers the impacts of integrating ICT into mathematics and numeracy programs to advance students’ numeracy proficiencies.
The unit enables students to extend their knowledge and skills in the teaching of mathematics and numeracy for the primary years. It develops advanced understanding of assessment and data-analysis for identifying the learning needs of students, including those with additional needs and gifted students. The unit examines current developments for advancing and integrating numeracy in Mathematics and across the curriculum, and also examines examples of policy documents and school processes that focus on advancing numeracy learning and their implications for practice. The unit will engage with educational theory to advance knowledge and skills in developing curriculum, and planning learning experiences and assessment strategies for students with diverse needs in order to improve numeracy proficiencies through the Mathematics discipline as well as across all curriculum areas.
* Core elements of mathematical knowledge and competency
* Educational theory and pedagogies for teaching Mathematics
* Research on highly effective teaching strategies in Mathematics
* Issues impacting upon the teaching of mathematics and numeracy, applying a Christian perspective
* Examining various case studies of school wide numeracy programs, policy documents and school processes for advancing numeracy
* Analysing and developing school wide data to identify numeracy proficiencies and learning needs
* Supporting students with additional needs in mathematics and numeracy learning
* Close examination of programs and strategies to challenge and engage gifted students in Mathematics