This unit will provide pre-service teachers with the opportunity to engage with current knowledge and understanding about the structure and substance of Science, students’ developmental levels in Science learning, and pedagogical approaches for improving their levels of competence in scientific thinking and processes. Through this unit pre-service teachers will engage with and develop their knowledge of the current curriculum for Science. The unit will also focus on developing and applying the pre-service teachers’ knowledge and understanding about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Christian perspectives on Science content and pedagogies.
Through this unit pre-service teachers will critically analyse pedagogies for assessing students’ learning needs in Science and developing effective learning experiences that will engage and cater for a diverse range of students. The unit will explore a range of resources for engaging and supporting students in their Science learning. The unit will also focus on developing the pre-service teachers’ personal competence in utilising ICT for scientific processes, in order to enhance students’ learning in Science and in ICTs. This unit will also focus on developing the pre-service teachers’ personal proficiencies in Science, and incorporates Christian faith, worldview and Scripture related to the teaching vocation.
1. Christian, Cultural, and Social Perspectives on Science
2. Primary Science Curriculum and the Limits of Science
3. Researching Scientific Inquiry to Diverse Learners
4. Eight specific content areas of the science program as well as pedagogical approaches, principles of learning, assessment, teaching, and classroom management relevant to teaching Science.
5. Indigenous understanding of Stars