This unit will provide pre-service teachers with the opportunity to engage with current knowledge and understanding about the structure and substance of the Humanities, students’ developmental levels relevant to this area of learning, and pedagogical approaches for improving their levels of competence in knowledge and process skills specific to the Humanities. Through this unit pre-service teachers will engage with and develop their knowledge of the current curriculum for the Humanities subjects. The unit will also focus on developing and applying the pre-service teachers’ knowledge and understanding about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Christian perspectives on content and pedagogies relevant to the Humanities.
Through this unit pre-service teachers will critically analyse pedagogies for assessing students’ learning needs in Humanities and developing effective learning experiences that will engage and cater for a diverse range of students. The unit will explore a range of resources for engaging and supporting students in their learning in the Humanities.
The unit will also focus on developing the pre-service teachers’ personal competence in utilising ICT for processes specific to the Humanities, in order to enhance students’ learning in this discipline and in ICTs. This unit will also focus on developing the pre-service teachers’ personal proficiencies in content knowledge and process skills in the Humanities, and incorporates Christian faith, worldview and Scripture related to the teaching vocation.
1. Overview of the Primary Humanities curriculum
2. Principles of an integral approach and the key perspectives of a Topic
3. Key ideas in the Historical dimension and skills of History
4. Key ideas in the Geographical dimension and skills of Geography
5. Key ideas in the ethical and political dimension (civics and civilisation)
6. Pedagogical essentials for working with inquiry and project based learning
7. Key strategies for assessing and reporting the Humanities and analysing data to diagnose needs, levels and standards