This unit will provide pre-service teachers with the opportunity to engage with current knowledge and understanding about the structure and substance of The Arts as a discipline. Through the unit pre-service teachers will engage with current knowledge and understanding about children’s developmental levels relevant to The Arts and how they learn in and through The Arts. The unit will focus on critically analysing a range of pedagogical approaches for assessing students’ learning needs and improving students’ levels of competence in The Arts. The unit will explore a range of resources for engaging and supporting students in their learning in The Arts. Through this unit pre-service teachers will have the opportunity to develop effective learning experiences that will engage and cater for a diverse range of students.
The pre-service teachers’ personal competence in utilising ICT for educational purposes in order to enhance students’ learning in The Arts and in using ICTs to produce art works, will also be covered through this unit. The unit will also focus on developing the pre-service teachers’ personal proficiencies in this discipline, and incorporates Christian faith, worldview and Scripture related to the teaching vocation. Pre-service teachers will also develop their knowledge and understanding about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Christian perspectives on The Arts content and pedagogies during this unit.
1. Thinking Christianly about the role and place of the Arts
2. Engaging with the Victorian Curriculum and the Arts learning areas
3. Learning Strategies to engage diverse students in the Arts
4. Assessing the Arts and diagnosing needs
5. Special considerations for planning and managing physical spaces. materials, and movement in the Arts
6. Integrating the Arts across the curriculum
7. Technology and the Arts