This unit will provide pre-service teachers with the opportunity to engage with current knowledge and understanding about the structure and substance of mathematics, children’s development in mathematical understanding, and pedagogical approaches for developing mathematical and numeracy skills. The unit will focus on developing and applying the pre-service teachers’ knowledge and understanding about Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander and Christian perspectives on Mathematics content and pedagogies. Pre-service teachers will also engage with and develop their knowledge of the current curriculum for Mathematics.
The unit will cover effective pedagogies for assessing students’ learning needs related to number, algebra, measurement, geometry, statistics and probability, and for designing learning experiences that will engage diverse learners in developing and applying mathematical concepts, skills and processes as well as develop an appreciation for the mathematics discipline. The unit will also explore a range of resources for engaging and supporting students in their learning.
Opportunities will be given during the unit to develop the pre-service teachers’ personal competence in utilising ICT for educational purposes in order to enhance students’ learning in Mathematics and in ICTs. This unit will cover mathematical concepts and processes in order to advance the pre-service teachers’ personal proficiencies in Mathematics. The unit also incorporates Christian faith, worldview and Scripture related to the teaching vocation.
1. The Nature of Mathematical Knowing : various perspectives and frameworks
2. Overview of the Victorian Primary Mathematics Curriculum
3. Diagnosing needs – Assessment of mathematical understanding, knowledge and skill
4. Key elements of planning an effective mathematical lesson -What does the research tell us ?
5. Various strategies for differentiating the curriculum; working with groups and individuals
6. Examining various case studies of best practice of programming across the week, term and year