This unit enables you to develop your knowledge and understanding of the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and the Australian Curriculum for Technologies relevant to primary schooling, and the opportunities for integrating relevant aspects of the cross-curriculum priorities and general capabilities.
Through this unit you will engage with the Design and Technologies strand, learning theory and appropriate pedagogical approaches for developing students’ knowledge and understanding of how material, systems, tools and equipment have been used in society to meet needs, as well as the process and production skills such as creativity, innovation and applying ethical and environmental factors to the design of systems, products and tools. You will also engage with the Digital Technologies strand, learning theory and appropriate pedagogical approaches for developing students’ knowledge and understanding of the characteristics and properties of digital systems and digital information as well as creatively designing the use of such technologies to respond and solve problems. The unit will discuss a range of perspectives on these subjects, including a Christian perspective, and will address the safe, ethical and responsible use of ICT in teaching and learning and the safe, ethical and responsible considerations relevant to Design and Technologies.
In addition the unit covers the integration of informal and formal diagnostic, formative and authentic summative assessment strategies, and a range of effective and differentiated teaching and communication strategies (verbal and nono-verbal) to respond to diverse learning needs and support students’ engagement and participation in Design and Technologies, and Digital Technologies. The unit introduces you to a range of resources, including ICT, and external education providers relevant to learning across the two Technologies learning areas, as well as strategies for evaluating their relevance, appropriateness, and value for enhancing and expanding students’ learning.
You will develop your personal proficiencies in Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies and you ability to relevantly and appropriately integrate these areas of learning into other curriculum areas so that students’ learning in each area can be expanded and enhanced. The unit aims to develop your knowledge, application and confidence to plan for, and engage students in rich, meaningful and well-managed learning experiences in Technologies.
* Safe, responsible, ethical and legal factors related to Design and Technologies, Digital Technologies and ICT use, with a Christian perspective and response to these factors
* Understanding and using the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and Australian Curriculum for Technologies (Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies) relevant to primary schooling
* Making pedagogical decisions – critically reviewing research, learning theory and pedagogy relevant to Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies
* Planning for informal and formal diagnostic, formative and summative assessment in Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies
* Addressing and integrating relevant literacy and numeracy learning
* Understanding and integrating the cross-curriculum priorities and general capabilities
* Differentiated and inclusive practices in Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies for diverse learners
* Developing a range of effective teaching and communication strategies to support engagement and participation
* Identifying, evaluating and selecting equipment, resources, ICT, and external educators to support engagement and participation
* Planning lesson sequences and units of work in Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies, including integrated curriculum
* Organising and managing Design and Technologies and Digital Technologies learning environments and experiences