This unit focuses on developing your knowledge, competencies, application and confidence to plan for and engage students in rich, meaningful and well-organised arts learning experiences, including the performing arts of Dance, Drama, and Music, and visual representation and expression through Visual Arts and Media Arts. The unit covers the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and the Australian Curriculum relevant to these different art forms in primary schooling, as well as learning theory and pedagogical approaches appropriate to teaching the arts. You will make connections to relevant literacy and numeracy learning and develop strategies for including this in planning and teaching. The unit covers best practices for teaching and assessing the various art forms through discipline-based and integrated approaches, including equipping you, as generalist teachers, to maximise learning in and through the performing and visual arts to engage all learners and enrich the broader curriculum. You will develop an understanding and appreciation of the need to plan appropriate and differentiated learning experiences in the arts suited to the students’ developmental stages, diverse needs, abilities and giftings as relevant to the various art forms.
Through the unit, you will also develop an understanding of different perspectives on the arts in society and in curriculum, and their role and significance culturally and traditionally. The unit will specifically explore the influence of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander arts heritage, traditions, and practices and identify strategies that promote students’ appreciation and respect for them, including appropriate protocols for engaging students in Aboriginal artworks (visual and performing arts). You will engage with a Christian perspective on the different art forms and how this can shape curriculum and pedagogies.
* Examining perspectives on the Arts in society and in curriculum
* Understanding and using the Victorian Curriculum F-10 and Australian Curriculum for Dance, Drama, Media Arts, Music and Visual Arts
* Applying learning theory to planning integrated and discipline-based curriculum, appropriate pedagogies and teaching strategies
* Understanding and responding to children’s physical, cognitive and affective development, diverse needs, disabilities, and giftings in and through the performing and visual arts
* Planning for authentic assessment in performing and visual arts
* Incorporating literacy and numeracy learning in and through the various art forms
* Developing a range of communication strategies and resources, including digital technologies to support engagement and participation in the each of the art forms
* Knowing and respecting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander influences on performing and visual arts, their heritage, traditions, and practices
* Organising and managing lessons in the various art forms, strategies for supporting students’ safety and well-being and teachers’ self-care
* Strategies for engaging parents/carers through the Arts