This unit introduces educational professionals to a range of the leading Western schools of thought regarding current educational leadership theory. The unit seeks to supply candidates with several frames of reference which can be then used to interpret typical leadership roles and predicaments in educational contexts.
In this unit the following issues will be addressed:
* Historical schools of thought on leadership and leading, basic concepts revisited
* The power frame: The nature of organisational politics power sources in leadership
* The intuitional frame: situational leadership and diagnosis
* The philosophical frame: servant leadership
* The physiological frame: emotional intelligence
* The psychodynamic frame: charisma and transformational leadership
* The postmodern frame: deconstructing leadership discourse and vested interests
* Effective team life and interpersonal dynamics
* Structuring organisations
* Ethics and governance models
* Spiritual discernment decision making
* Spirituality in the workplace and enhancing the human spirit
* Succession and the generation of oncoming educational leaders.
This unit is delivered as a split intensive. The class will meet for two intensives, one per school term with the ability to communicate to your peers and lecturer electronically in-between. All learning will happen through your readings and in a face-to-face setting.