In this unit, you will explore and understand teacher’s professional identity and engagement and explore the wider legal and regulatory environment within which schools are situated, including a Christian perspective. You will develop knowledge and understanding of the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers, The Victorian Teaching Profession Code of Conduct, the Child Safe Standards and their application to the teaching profession. You will develop your understanding of legislative, administrative and organisational policies and processes required for teachers related to a range of topics, including student safety and well-being, mandatory reporting, bullying and harassment, relationships in school contexts, inclusive practices, privacy, and ICT. You will identify and develop understanding of the various stakeholders in education contexts, particularly focusing on developing strategies to engage and involve parents/carers in educative processes.
This unit also covers the importance of continued professional learning for teachers; how to effectively use the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers to determine your learning needs; and understanding of the broad range of relevant and appropriate sources of professional development.
* Professional identity and the Australian Professional Standards for Teachers and teacher registration
* Professional learning – importance, accountabilities, sources, and implications for improved student learning
* The Victorian Teaching Profession Code of Conduct and the Child Safe Standards
* Teaching in the age of accountability- understanding compliance
* Christianity and teaching – the Christian teacher identity and ethos
* Student well-being and pastoral care
* Policies, administration and legislation (e.g. related to enrollment, disability discrimination, privacy, child protection and mandatory reporting, The Crimes Act, social media, bullying and harassment)
* Duty of care and understanding risk
* Planning and delivering learning activities
* Relationships in school environments – colleagues, parents/carers, students and other stakeholders
* Partnering with parents, the community and building school culture
* Engaging well and teacher self-care