This unit will introduce students to basic counselling concepts to take on caring counselling and pastoral roles, by developing respectful relationships with diverse individuals, families and communities, who are seeking support with mental health and healing of the soul. Students will be introduced to philosophical approaches to counselling, develop their listening skills and learn of approaches to integrate a Christian worldview into counselling.
1. Exploring definitions of counselling
2. Introduction to counselling: Faith, fears, fantasies, philosophy and focus
3. Exploring listening and being present
4. Exploring empathy as a way of being
5. Practice one-on-one counselling session from client perspective
6. Exploring openness, acceptance, and non-judgemental way of being
7. Engaging with ideas of authenticity, genuineness and congruence
8. Power and diversity in counselling
9. Connecting with new clients and structuring the counselling relationship
10. Practice counselling skills
11. Evaluation of unit.