FAQs for the Resource Centre
When is the Library open?
You can view opening hours on the Resource Centre Home page near the top.
How do I find books in the library?
- Eastern College Australia and Stirling use the Destiny catalogue.
- For instructions with images to Using Destiny.
- Contents includes: Basic search: Power search; Additional search options; Destiny Quest; Visual EBL books search; Glossary of Library Terms; Classifications of call numbers: Dewey and Pettee in the Resource Centre Handbook.
How do I find books from the library online?
How to get to the Destiny Library catalogue online see Accessing the Resource Centre and Library in the Resource Centre Handbook.
How many books can I borrow and how long?
As a guide:
- Postgraduate students can borrow 12 items for a maximum period of 4 weeks.
- Undergraduate students can borrow 8 items for a maximum period of 3 weeks.
- If you have your loans mailed to you, we add extra time to your loan to cover delivery.
Can I re-borrow or extend a loan in person or electronically?
We have a policy that items cannot be re-borrowed or extended beyond the maximum period. A student can return the book and come back 24 hours later, then borrow the book again. This policy is to ensure that every student has equitable access to material needed for their work.
Will I be fined for late returns?
- Unfortunately a library collection is better maintained when patrons are penalised for late returns. We have a fine policy of 0.50c a day per item, which favourably compares with other tertiary institutions.
- Allowances are made for medical reasons as long as the student can provide suitable proof such as a medical certificate.
- There is an after hour’s return chute located to the left of the back door. On campus, take the residential road, to the left, go up the staircase to the rear door.
- You can mail the items back at your expense and we will take the mail date stamp as the return date.
Can I reserve an item or place an item on hold?
Unfortunately students cannot place items on hold. We have a first in first served policy to keep the books available for everyone.
Can I view my library loans online?
Unfortunately not at present.
We use PaperCut and your student details (entered on the pad to the right of the photocopier) to operate the printer/photocopier. Please see the librarian on duty to top up your balance. Instructions on how to use the photocopier are in the Resource Centre Handbook.
- We use PaperCut and your student details to operate the printer/photocopier. Please see the librarian on duty to top up your balance.
- Instructions on how to use the printer are in the Resource Centre Handbook.
If a book isn’t available in the library can I request it?
Eastern does not have any reciprocal borrowing agreements with any other library except the Stirling Eastern arrangement on campus.
How do I access e-book?
Instructions on how to access electronic e-books are in the Resource Centre Handbook.
How do I access electronic resources?
A comprehensive list of resources and how to access electronic resources can be found in the Resource Centre Handbook.
Resource Centre Handbook
- The Resource Centre Handbook has all kinds of help; instructions with pictures and useful ideas. View its contents and click on the subject that interests you.
My question isn't here
Please contact the Resource Centre in opening hours and we will endeavour to answer your question.
Phone: 03 9790 9213