FAQs for the Master of Transformational Development | Eastern College Australia

FAQs for the Master of Transformational Development

Do I have time for the program?
  • The MTD program is a part-time study program, designed so that practitioners can continue to live at home and serve in their ministry/work. This has the advantage of ensuring that your study remains grounded in a practical context.
  • If you plan to participate in the units consecutively, consider this as equivalent to at least 35% of a typical full-time tertiary institution program load.
  • You need to attend the 5-day intensive sessions for each unit. These are currently offered in Kuala Lumpur, Cairo and Melbourne.
  • You also need to allocate good quality time for significant pre- and post-intensive research, study, interaction and writing.
  • Good time management is essential. You will need to restructure your work/ministry load and responsibilities for the duration of the program.

    • Some participants have study leave provisions in their organisation.
    • Others arrange to cut down their work/ministry load.
    • Others take unpaid leave.
Who will encourage me through the program?
  • Part-time, non-residential, blended-delivery mode programs like this MTD program are a challenge to complete.
  • The program directors will journey with you for the duration of the program, providing advice and encouragement. They are available by Skype to talk through any study-related concerns you may have, and to pray with you.
  • You will also receive support and encouragement from your fellow-students. The MTD’s small learning community is a very supportive one.
  • However, you will need to be disciplined in your study. This is a Master-level course with high standards.
Will I go through the program with a peer group?

The MTD program is effectively a peer-group program – you will be working through the six units with a core group of participants. Community is a strong element of this program. As you share your experiences and challenges with others, we anticipate that you will make close and enduring global friendships.

What is the time limit to complete my program?

Normally the program will be completed in 3 years. It is possible to defer a unit, and complete the missed unit in a subsequent cycle of the program. However, the offering of subsequent cycles of the program outside of Australia will be dependent on sufficient student numbers.

Intensive Questions

Where are the intensives held?
  • The intensives are held in Kuala Lumpur, Cairo and Melbourne.
  • All students must cover the costs of their travel and accommodation.
  • The Kuala Lumpur and Cairo intensives are residential and accommodation is organised by Malaysian Care and the Anafora Centre respectively.
  • Students attending the Melbourne intensive must arrange their own accommodation.
Can I attend the 5-day intensive of any of my units at any of the venues on offer?
  • Yes you can, but students are responsible for checking details regarding visa requirements. Students from some countries will find it very difficult to obtain a visa to enter Australia.
  • All travel insurance, travel and accommodation costs must be met by students.
  • You will need to determine prior to enrolment each semester, which intensive you intend to attend.
Do I need travel insurance?

Yes, you are required to have travel insurance as the College's insurance does not cover students making their own travel arrangements.

How do I find out when my intensive will be?

Please go to the Timetables page of the Eastern website - https://www.eastern.edu.au/admissions/timetables

What happens if I miss the 5-day intensive sessions of a unit?

If you miss part of a 5-day intensive for genuine reasons, you may be given some directed studies to take the place of the missed elements. If you miss all of a 5-day intensive without a very good reason for doing so you are unlikely to be allowed to complete the unit.

Resource Questions

Where can I find resources for my program?
  • Most of the key resources for your program will be available on-line.
  • As you will be registered as a student with Eastern College Australia, you will have full access to Eastern College Australia resources, through its on-line learning environment.
  • Malaysian Care and the Anafora Centre also have library resources that students can access.
  • We will help you find other resources, too – either on-line or as hard-copy books, etc. And if you come across helpful resources, we encourage you to share your discoveries with your fellow-students, too.
Do I need my own computer?

Access to a reliable computer will be an indispensable resource for your participation in this program. If your current computer is not very reliable, or you need to share it with too many other people, or it is placed in a noisy environment, then it may be well worth budgeting to acquire another one at the start of the program. We advise you to revise/enhance your computing/word-processing skills, too; as well as make sure you apply common-sense computer security practices (like backing up your data regularly, and installing reputable anti-virus software and keeping the virus definitions up to date).

Do I need broadband internet access?
  • As the program is a blended on-line and on-campus one, reasonably reliable broadband internet access is essential for participants in the program.
  • The 8-week pre-intensive guided reading/research for each unit requires you to be part of a small group of 3-5 students who will meet weekly to discuss the content of the readings. Usually these groups will be virtual groups meeting via Skype. These groups will also have regular internet-based interaction with the unit coordinator.
  • Completed assignments must be uploaded onto the Eastern College Australia on-line learning environment (a Moodle website).
  • Much of your research and access to resource material will be via the internet.

Finance questions

How much will my program cost?

Tuition fees can be found on the Eastern website at https://www.eastern.edu.au/admissions/fees. You will need to factor other significant costs into your program, especially the cost of travel and accommodation associated with the intensives, as these costs are not included in the tuition fees.

Are scholarships available?

Self-funded students living and working in lower-income countries may be eligible for scholarship support to fully or partially cover fees. This can be discussed during your application interview.

Do I need to pay my fees for the whole program up-front at the beginning?

No. Fees/contributions to fees may be paid on a semester-by-semester basis.

VISA Questions

Do I need a student visa?
  • Students attending the intensives in Malaysia are officially attending a short training program, therefore a social visit pass is usually adequate. However, you will need to check with Malaysian immigration to see if you can do this in your case.
  • Students attending the intensives in Egypt may require a visa, depending on their country of origin. In some cases a visa can be applied for on arrival in Egypt, but most students will have to apply for a visa through the Egyptian embassy or consulate well ahead of the dates of the intensive.
  • It is your responsibility to check carefully about immigration regulations well in advance of the dates of the intensives. Malaysian Care and the Anafora Centre are able to provide an official letter if required for immigration purposes.

Language Questions

Can I use a language other than English?

The MTD program is English medium – so virtually all your interactions with faculty and fellow-students will be in English.

Will I need to sit an IELTS exam?

If you can answer yes to one of these questions you will not need to sit an IELTS.

  • Were you born in American Samoa; Australia; Botswana; Canada; Fiji; Ghana; Guyana; Ireland; Jamaica; Kenya; Lesotho; Liberia; New Zealand; Papua New Guinea; Singapore; Solomon Islands; South Africa; Tonga; Trinidad and Tobago; United Kingdom; USA; Zambia or Zimbabwe and have successfully completed a secondary or tertiary qualification undertaken in English in one of these countries?
  • Have you completed secondary study or at least one year of full-time university study in one of the above countries where the study was in English?
  • Have you completed a senior secondary qualification, a 2 year Diploma qualification, a university course of at least 3 years or a postgraduate course of at least 2 years where the study was completed at a place of study listed in the International Handbook of Universities, World Higher Education database, etc where the study was all done in English. (Please see the following webpage for more specific details - https://www.eastern.edu.au/courses/master-transformational-development)

Get in Touch

Our friendly Enquiries Team is ready to answer any questions you may have.

Ready to start your studies at Eastern? Click below and apply today!