This post graduate course prepares people to teach in Australian primary schools and leads to provisional registration with the Victorian Institute of Teaching. Eastern College Australia Bachelor of Arts provides an excellent entry to this post graduate course but other degree programs are accepted.
The course is a equivalent to 1 year full time, and must be completed full for the last intake in Semester 2, 2015.
Applications are made directly to Eastern College Australia and NOT through Victoria Tertiary Admissions Centre (VTAC). Apply now
The course will be delivered via a mixture of weekly and intensive classes, each with an online component. We begin in either January or June with a series of Saturday classes.
Students will complete 55 days of placement comprising of – 5 days of school based observation early in first semester, one 25 day block of teaching practicum in the first semester of study and a second 25 day block in the second semester of study. Prospective students need to factor in this time commitment as they consider their application.
Commonwealth supported places and HECS-HELP available
Contact: Rika Mason - on 03 9790 9200 or email@example.com for further information
This course provides initial teacher education for graduates who wish to become primary teachers. Graduates will be eligible for registration as a teacher with the Victorian lnstitute of Teaching and may be eligible to teach interstate and overseas.
At the end of this course pre-service teachers will be eligible for registration with the Victorian lnstitute of Teaching (VlT). They will be established in the knowledge, practice and professional engagement required by the VIT Standards for Graduating Teachers, available at http://www.vit.vic.edu.au
- This course provides initial teacher education for graduates who wish to become primary teachers.
To obtain entry under this category an applicant must:
- Meet the General Entry Requirements for all courses at Eastern College Australia; and
- Have an accredited Bachelor’s degree or other award of equivalent academic standing approved by the College for entry purposes, and consistent with the Victorian Institute of Teaching requirements for entry purposes (refer to English Proficiency requirements for the Graduate Diploma in Education (Primary); and
- Submit a 250 word written statement explaining why the applicant wishes to enrol in the course; and
- Submit a reference from a teaching professional (who is not necessarily a Christian) giving their opinion on the applicant’s likely suitability as a teacher; and
- Have a satisfactory Working with Children Check
Note: Grade Point Average (GPA) will be used to differentiate students during the acceptance process.
The College reserves the right to disregard all but the requirement for an accredited Bachelor’s degree and evidence of an IELTS score (as appropriate) when it is satisfied that the ability, experience and spiritual standing of an applicant are sufficient to give the applicant a good chance of completing the relevant course successfully.
Please note, applicants are encouraged to bring wireless laptops to classes and practicum.This course is only available to domestic students (those not requiring a student visa).
English Language Requirement
The English Language proficiency requirements for the Graduate Diploma in Education are based in the Victorian Institute of Teaching requirements for teacher registration and are as follows:
- Successful completion of a Bachelor degree undertaken in one of the following countries: Australia, Canada, Republic of Ireland, New Zealand, United Kingdom, USA
If this condition is not met then,
- Successful completion of one of the following English language tests to the level prescribed below:
- International English Language Testing System (IELTS) - Academic: Overall 7.5 with the following required in each of the skill areas: speaking 8.0, listening 8.0, reading 7.0 and writing 7.0. Locations where this test can be undertaken (PDF - 39 KB) Information is also available at http://www.ielts.org
- International Second Language Proficiency Rating (ISLPR): Level 4 required in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing. This assessment may be undertaken at accredited centres(PDF - 39 KB)
- Professional English Assessment for Teachers (PEAT): Band A required in each of the areas of speaking, listening, reading and writing. This assessment can only be undertaken at The University of New South Wales. Information is available at www.lang.unsw.edu.au/peat/.
The College will accept a certified copy of your test results. These results must be less than 24 months old at the date of application for registration.
- A total of 66 credit points must be gained for the graduate award. This equates to 1.33 of a regular Graduate Diploma award.
- All units in the Graduate Diploma of Education (Primary) are taken at Eastern College Australia’s level 4.
- All Students are required to complete a Biblical studies unit of 6 credit points at graduate level. Suggested unit BB122.406 Biblical studies.
- Students will complete 9 Core units of 6 credit points each over one year Full time (54 credit points), 1 practicum of 30 days (6 credit points) and 1 practicum of 25 days (6 credit points)
- All students will begin their course be completing ED141.406 Educational Contexts and Professional Engagement 1 as a summer or winter intensive.
- There will be a Semester 1 and a Semester 2 intake each year. See Important Dates page for further information.
Applications are made directly to the college.
Units attached to this course
|Unit Code||Unit Name|
|ED141.406||Educational Contexts and Professional Engagement 1|
|ED144.406||Primary Education: English|
|ED145.406||Primary Education: Mathematics|
|ED146.406||Primary Education: The Arts and Health and Physical Education|
|ED147.406||Primary Education: Science and Humanities|
|ED241.406||Educational Contexts and Professional Engagement 2|
|ED242.406||Effective Learning Environments|
|ED830.406||Contexts and Philosophies of the Christian Educator|
|PR242.406||Primary Teaching Practicum 1|
|PR243.406||Primary Teaching Practicum 2|