Course Code: CHC40213
This course is only available to domestic students (those not requiring a student visa).
Support Students in the Classroom
- Christian-based course
- Gain qualifications to become a Learning Assistant
- Help young people, including those with special needs, achieve their potential
- Work in primary or secondary schools (public and independent, Christian and secular), or in community education settings
- Study full time or part time
- Take a step towards a career in Teaching
About the Course
During 2021 the course will be delivered at Mount Evelyn Christian School in Victoria.
- There are no academic entry requirements for this course.
- English language proficiency will be assessed as part of the application process to ensure appropriate support is provided.
- All potential students are required to satisfactorily complete a new student interview with Eastern College Australia before being accepted into the course. During this interview we can discuss your previous experience and training and any credit that may be available.
Students must have a current Working With Childrens Check for workplacements in schools.
- If you are eligible for Skills First and have a current concession card you will only pay $168.30 for the whole course.
- If you are eligible for Skills First, but do not have a concession card you will pay $841.50.
- If you are ineligible for Skills First you will pay $3,442.50 for the whole course and a payment plan is available.
- For full time students the course will be delivered over 32 weeks throughout the year fitting in with school terms. Students must successfully complete 17 units - 12 core and 5 electives. For students wishing to study part-time an individualised study plan will be developed.
- The course is delivered in blended format where students attend a weekly training session at the school, a placement, and complete additional resources online.
- Students will need to complete a minimum of 120 hours of placement in an educational setting. This placement may be completed at the school where they receive weekly training or elsewhere.
Further study pathways for those who undertake this qualification include the Bachelor of Education (Primary) and Bachelor of Education (Secondary).
|Work with diverse people||CHCDIV001|
|Promote Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander cultural safety||CHCDIV002|
|Support behaviour of children and young people.||CHCECE006|
|Comply with legislative, policy and industrial requirements in the education environment.||CHCEDS001|
|Assist in facilitation of student learning.||CHCEDS021|
|Work with students in need of additional support.||CHCEDS022|
|Use educational strategies to support Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander education.||CHCEDS024|
|Facilitate learning for students with disabilities.||CHCEDS025|
|Support the development of numeracy skills.||CHCEDS032|
|Reflect on and improve own professional practice||CHCPRP003|
|Identify and respond to children and young people at risk||CHCPRT001|
|Participate in Workplace Health & Safety||HLTWHS001|
|Facilitate ongoing skills development using a person-centred approach||CHCDIS009|
|Support students’ mathematics learning||CHCEDS019|
|Support students’ literacy learning||CHCEDS020|
|Supervise students outside the classroom||CHCEDS023|
|Provide support to students with autism spectrum disorder||CHCEDS031|
* Please note electives may be changed prior to course commencement